Iowa Republican Congressmember Steve King sparked outrage Sunday after publishing a racist tweet in support of far-right Dutch politician Geert Wilders, who was rejected by the majority of Dutch voters during Wednesday’s parliamentary elections. Congressmember King was retweeting a cartoon by the anti-immigrant group Voice of Europe depicting Wilders with a finger plugging a leak in a dike, labeled "Western Civilization," holding back a toxic wave of Islam. The cartoon also depicts Muslim men with a sword and a suicide bomb vest. Rep. King’s retweet of the cartoon read, "Wilders understands that culture and demographics are our destiny. We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies." For more, we speak with Democratic Congressmember Luis Gutiérrez of Illinois.
- How Black Lives Don't Matter in Israel
- A Deeper Look at Islamophobia in the U.S. Empire
- Thanksgiving to 'Redskins' - Dispelling American Myths That Hide Native Genocide
- "What to the Slave is 4th of July?": James Earl Jones Reads Frederick Douglass's Historic Speech
- Stamped from the Beginning: Ibram X. Kendi on the History of Racist Ideas in U.S.