This article published by Hakai Magazine tells a tragic tale of the courageous work being done by fisheries observers around the world and how extreme the risk is as exemplified by the disappearance of an American Observer Keith Davis (the focus of this article), the murder of Simione Cagilaba, and a death threat leveled against Liz Mitchell (yes, there are brave women conservationists working in the male-dominated Wild West-like world of commercial fishing in international waters). I classify it as a must-read and consider it one of the best instances of journalism I've encountered recently... It's definitely the best I've seen in 2017 so far!
- The Rebellions That Changed U.S. History: Looking Back at the 1967 Newark & Detroit Uprisings
- David Cay Johnston: Trump is "Appallingly Ignorant" on Healthcare & Puts Greed Above Human Lives
- Boycott Israel, Go to Jail?
- In Precedent-Setting Trial, Lawyers Say Arizona's Ethnic Studies Ban is Discriminatory & Illegal
- How Education Secretary Betsy DeVos Undermines Civil Rights & Favors Predatory Lenders Over Students