This article published by Hakai Magazine tells a tragic tale of the courageous work being done by fisheries observers around the world and how extreme the risk is as exemplified by the disappearance of an American Observer Keith Davis (the focus of this article), the murder of Simione Cagilaba, and a death threat leveled against Liz Mitchell (yes, there are brave women conservationists working in the male-dominated Wild West-like world of commercial fishing in international waters). I classify it as a must-read and consider it one of the best instances of journalism I've encountered recently... It's definitely the best I've seen in 2017 so far!
- Police Shootings of Native Americans are Underreported and Rising
- Can Congress Stop Trump From Going Nuclear?
- US People's Delegation Defies Trump at Bonn Climate Summit
- Burn Pits and Betrayal: How the U.S. Poisoned its Veterans
- Yemeni Journalist: Saudi Arabia's Total Blockade on Yemen is "Death Sentence" for All