This article published by Hakai Magazine tells a tragic tale of the courageous work being done by fisheries observers around the world and how extreme the risk is as exemplified by the disappearance of an American Observer Keith Davis (the focus of this article), the murder of Simione Cagilaba, and a death threat leveled against Liz Mitchell (yes, there are brave women conservationists working in the male-dominated Wild West-like world of commercial fishing in international waters). I classify it as a must-read and consider it one of the best instances of journalism I've encountered recently... It's definitely the best I've seen in 2017 so far!
- Crowdfunding and Its Societal Impact
- ACLU Vows to Keep Fighting as Supreme Court Allows Trump's Mostly Muslim Travel Ban to Take Effect
- House Intelligence Committee’s NSA Surveillance Bill Includes New Threats and Old
- Cherokee Writer: Trump Pocahontas Slur Reflects Centuries of Colonial Violence Against Native Women
- When Communities Say No One Should Stay in Jail Just Because They’re Poor